Saturday, January 17, 2009

Recent Movies

Logan’s Run
We had not seen this movie before, but it’s always referenced, so we figured we’d try and get in on the inside of the jokes or whatever. This was a mistake. The concept… well, I can see why it’s always referenced, because it’s sort of the base of a LOT of future Hollywood movies (Blade Runner comes to mind, as does elements of The Matrix, and many many others). So conceptually, it wasn’t that bad. But there were these parts that required “actors,” and unfortunately it was pretty much devoid in this respect. Who was that ugly twit they hired to play Logan? Why? I wasn’t born yet, but I’m pretty sure they still could have gotten me to fill the part.

And character development? I guess that wasn’t around until the mid-80’s or so. And neither were people with perfect pitch or any form of musical talent.

One thing that I do wish would make a comeback though, is the opening text-as-background-story. It’s nice to read a paragraph or two, and have an understanding of what you’re about to watch, and I do prefer it to what Hollywood’s done lately. You know, how they have characters sort of shamelessly drop background plot points in completely obnoxious & unnatural ways that sort of make you cringe. I hate that. I’d prefer the short opening background story to make a reappearance.



Good Will Hunting
This movie’s old, but it’s supposed to be pretty good, so we thought we’d culture ourselves on it a little. If the title sounds familiar but you’re having trouble placing it, it’s the movie that Ben Affleck & Matt Damon wrote & starred in, that essentially thrust them into existence.

Side note: I had no idea that the title was sort of a “good dog” congratulatory saying. You know, Matt Damon is Will Hunting, and he’s good. “Good Will Hunting, Good Will Hunting. Now sit! Stay! Get a job!”

It was a good movie if not quite what I was expecting out of it. But I do think that it thought it was more touching & important than it probably really was. Just my opinion, I guess – as is most everything I bother writing down – but I think if you watch it critically, it’s “just OK” as opposed to “landmark cinematic experience.”



Deliverance
This one I watched online (legally, through Netflix) while The Girl was down south visiting her family. It was sort of the same thing as Logan’s Run, in that it’s an oldie that is often referenced and re-referenced, and I guess I felt the need to see it and know firsthand what all the references really are.

Though at this point I don’t think there’s really much doubt what everyone references, and ladies & gentlemen if you’ve not seen this movie but suspect that you know what the references are, let me assure you that you do. It’s not that cloaked. There’s some male-on-male raping action.

The only thing that really struck me about it was that the scene that is most oft-referenced, is so damn short. I really expected it to be some drawn out scene, full of suspense & intrigue, not a quickie, wham-bam-thank-you-sir-and-now-we’re-off sort of moment.

And seriously, why was there any argument? What they should have done is ran after the fat guy and caught him, and then either a) killed him and buried them both, or b) taken him in as proof.

They should have “delivered” him to the authorities, or they should have just neutralized him & subsequently the entire future of their issues right then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.