Monday, August 31, 2009

Miles Officially retired

There was  a ceremony & everything. did you make it? I brought a toaster :-).

He's not doing so well unfortunately. The venerable Miles, the go-everywhere, do-everything dog has finally done all he can do, and has paid the price for it with his mobility. It's saddening to see it happen so fast. I always figured he'd slowly get old, be one of those happy old dogs that's slow and just plain happy that the sun rose again this fine day (a rare occurrence on the North Coast, yes, but still). "Look at me, I'm alive!" he'd say in my visions, but the reality is that I think his hip has slipped out of joint, he can't walk but to his food just barely. Instead of a happy "I'm still alive today, daddy!" glee, he looks at me solemnly, like to say "I wanna go play, but I can't. Poo." And yeah, it sucks, and it's sad, and I wish I could make him young again. Sadly, I'm not as powerful as he thinks I am ("DID YOU SEE THAT!? DADDY JUST MADE FOOD HOT WITH A MAGIC BOX!")

Watched him try to sh*t earlier this morning, and it wasn't really all that fun. I mean of course watching a dog sh*t is not fun, but more specifically, watching a dog struggle to do it, especially when it's your best friend of 13 years, is especially painful.

Here's the gist of how i feel about this: :-(

I'm sincerely hoping that tough decisions do not follow soon. We have a vet appointment tomorrow morning. Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.