Friday, June 4, 2010

Meet the Pack Mule

Remember all that time ago when I said, hold me to that? You may not, actually. I don’t blame you really, it was a long time ago at this point. Anyway, refresher: I was upset with the abilities of the new Tacoma in off-road situations, specifically the technical-sounding, not-as-useful solution to faux-lock the front axle ATRAC system (among other off-road shortcomings of the new models). I said I’d go & get a 1st gen Tacoma & set it up right, hold me to it.


So, uh, yeah. Let me introduce the “Pack Mule.” I know it’s not a sexy name, most guys name their rides after girls. Always fat-sounding girls too, I don’t get that at all. Bertha? Bessie? Really? Eh. I considered naming it Marisa (after Marisa Miller, my favorite not-my-wife woman ever in the history of the world). But the thing is, it’s not a pretty ride. It’s a utilitarian vehicle. It’s specifically for getting us in & out of any situation or place we want to get ourselves into. It’s not Marissa-pretty. It’s Pack Mule efficient. So I figured since that’s what it basically is to us, so shall that be it’s name. You know, like an American Indian name. “Fast as bull.” “Quick like deer.” “Ugly as bison ass.” “Pack Mule.


I hope no one placed bets against this happening. Ladies & gents, if I say it shall be so, then clearly, it shall be so.


So Pack Mule was bought as just a regular 4wd 4-door. I put the lift on it, tires & new rims to hold the larger tires. Then locked it, front & rear. I also have put on some “Rock Wings” that run along the sides under the cab, to protect these extremely sensitive areas from damage incurred by — well, rocks of course, but also trees or anything else.


As it stands now I am not sure I could actually get myself stuck! The thing’s damned near unstoppable. However, I’m not quite done with the mods. I do plan on placing an armor-type front bumper on it as well as a rear, and additionally a winch. I figure no I have not been stuck yet, but what happens when/if that does happen, thousands of miles from civilization or even, hell, phone reception? Better have a plan, like one that starts with “W” and ends with “inch.”


Anyway, thar she blows. Hopefully I’ll have some adventure pics eventually. When I remember to take a camera with me. Been bad about that lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.