Monday, November 3, 2008

What I'm currently All Excited About

Yes that’s right, a trash can. This is a sure sign of being either old, or boring, or both. I’m not sure exactly where I fall on this line of definition, but I know I’m on it.

We just got this trash can. Well I call it a trash can, but they actually term it a “
Rectangular Recycler,” because inside is two different cans – one for trash, one for recyclables. I wanted a new trash can to replace our old one, because it was a) a cylinder, and b) it would hit against the wall whenever you opened the lid due to the way it was designed, which leaves a black mark on the wall (the hinge backing is black).

Another issue for us recently has been our recyclables situation. Our cans were right outside the back door, but you still had to go outside to put stuff in them, and then to top that off, if we left the house –what with our
new puppies – we would have to move them into the garage so that they weren’t a mess when we got home.

So. Anyway, the idea is that now the large can inside the new “recycler” will be our trash can, and the small one will be our “plastics/metal” bin and sit closest to the kitchen center, and the old one will be the paper bin that will sit to the side of the refrigerator, out of the way. We like to have easy access to the trash, and since we have mostly plastic/metal recyclables, all the most-used bins will be easiest to reach. Since the paper one gets used only
sometimes, it’ll be more out of the way; but still easy enough to get to.

You don’t want to know how much we spent to make all this possible. Hell, I don’t want to know but I’ll tell you anyway. It is regularly $180, but we happened to have a 20% coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond. Crazy, huh? I know I know, I’m a freakin’ nut; who the hell spends $140 on a
trash can, right? But it’s stainless steel, the lid closes into the unit so that it sits right against the wall without bumping, is soft to activate with the foot pedal, and when you release the lid closes softly as well. And you know what? It will be worth it just to be able to not have to go outside every time we have a recyclable to go out, or leave home and don’t have to shuffle containers around to keep dogs out.

You may think we’re crazy, but dammit I’m trashy in
style, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.