Thursday, April 9, 2009

Dolason Prairie Trail: A Craigslist Moment

Yesterday I had a man-date with a guy I met online. It’s not what it sounds like, I promise. No, in reality, I posted an ad on craigslist about wanting to get together with another man.


No, It’s not what it sounds like, I swear!

Strictly platonic. What I was looking for was some active friends to hang out with. I
mentioned it before, that I’ve had trouble making friends up here with my funky schedule and desire to avoid scum & drudge. Basically the ad said that I’m this & that, these are the things I do, and I’d like to meet up with some like-minded individuals. And I even got hits!

Yes; some of them were what it sounded like.

But others weren’t. I got a handful of emails from guys who understand the situation and would also like to find some more people to hang out with outdoors & such. I haven’t met up with most of them yet (I
do have an odd schedule), but I did take the time yesterday to meet up with one in particular and go on a nice long hike.

We went out to a spot just shy of an hour’s drive north of home. It started at the top of a mountain range and cascades down the hills – through prairies & redwood forests – to the river below, which we didn’t quite make it to. And then you turn around and go back up (the “hard part”). It was amazingly beautiful. Words almost can’t describe. The nature was amazing. Everything I moved up here for, really.

The dogs had fun. He told me it’s about 1-½ hours up and 3 hours back, so I didn’t want to take everyone, just the two
young ones. And they thoroughly enjoyed it, running around the hills & prairies, through the forest, and sniffing trails of what was probably a mountain lion. Yeah, really. I noticed them taking deep interest in the scent of something on the gorund, and they acted really strange when I reached down to touch them: they recoiled from the touch, as though maybe they were in trouble or something. I couldn’t understand it, then I thought maybe it’s a predator and they’re being cautious. Sure enough, a few turns later and we came upon a motion-sensing automatic camera marked as “mountain lion survey equipment – please do not disturb.”

The guy that showed me the trail? He’s an older gent. I’m climbing up on 30 years old (!!!) myself, he’s about 22 years my senior. He’s been doing this stuff a long time though and seems to generally be a low-level adventurer. Nice guy, though a bit quirky. Which isn’t a knock at all, it’s refreshing to meet people who aren’t tied up in the made-up drama of our current era, what with who’s doing what on
The Hills & omg did you see what Miley Cirrus was wearing to the CMAs or whatever. He’s more old-world, and I like that about him quite a bit. Plus, hey, yesterday was the first day we ever even met. And honestly, I shudder to think what other’s initial impressions of me are. *shudders*

Plus he’s an outdoorsman. I like that
a lot. He’ll be good for me in that regard.

I unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, depending on your feelings on the matter) didn’t snap much in the way of photos on the journey. Most of the downhill trip was spent at a jog or better, and most of the uphill trek was spent huffing and puffing, as well as cramping & wincing, so no gallery for this journey.

The trip probably wasn’t meant to happen at all yesterday. I had been ill last week and started to feel better over the weekend, only to start feeling ill again Tuesday night. I pressed on, but when I called to confirm on Wednesday morning, he informed me that we would have to push it back a few hours because he had chipped a tooth and had to go in to the dentist around the time we were supposed to meet up. And those cramps? They were mine. As was the wincing. I’m pretty sure a sick man shouldn’t be out running up and down mountains, but I didn’t want to miss this opportunity either. And the virus-weariness showed, too. On the way back, my legs just didn’t have enough juice. I packed a good amount of water but I think I just started from too depleted a state, and I ran out of water and was still quite crampy, which slowed me down – lots of pausing to rest.

Still made good time though. And I’m glad I went – did I mention how beautiful it was?
Beautiful. I hope to be back there again soon. More pictures next time though. And maybe a whole day devoted, instead of just the last half of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.