Monday, February 2, 2009

Marijuana & Pop Culture

I live in Humboldt County. It’s weed central. We have a reputation known around the world.

And I do not smoke pot. I am against it. I don’t like mind-altering, save for the hot kinky sex variety.

I still don’t hold it against the people around here that
do like to smoke/grow the cannabis. Whatever. It’s a freaking weed, folks; who cares, right? If you’re not trying to get me to buy it, or you’re not showing up late to a job I’m depending on your for, because of it, I really don’t care. Do what you want to do, it’s not hurting anyone, that’s how I feel about it.

And it is so, that I don’t understand all the hoopla surrounding the recent outing of
Michael Phelps as a bonger. Seriously, who cares? It’s Marijuana, not damned cocaine. How many people high on marijuana are out in public robbing people? None. Why? They’re too damned happy about life. They’re just concentrating (very intently) on their hunger. I imagine a group of no-gooders sitting around on pot, contemplating doing some nefarious sh!t going sort of like this:

“Hey man, we should go rob that guy’s house.”
“Yeah, man, he’s got tons of cool sh!t.”
“You in?”
“…”
“Man, I’m
HUNGRY…”
“dude,
me too!”
“You got any chips around here, man?”
“dude, I’m too stoned to get up and get them; you do it”
“nah, I’m cool”

Seriously, how come we’re not more concerned with alcohol-related crimes/misdeeds/incidents? They’re far higher in number. And what’s more, who the hell cares if he smokes pot? It obviously didn’t impair him enough to stop the 8-gold-medal run he had in China, now did it? Seems to me, everyone ought to just cool the f*ck out about it.

Just guessing, but I bet a lot of his most vocal critics are fat rich white guys who happen to be closet addicts to the much-harder, white powdery stuff. Just saying. That’s pretty typical.

Hey, I don’t like the guy. I think he’s a dork with a shower cap who swims fast because the bullies used to give him wedgies. I don’t want to meet him. I don’t think he’s cool. And even still, I just think that perhaps –
perhaps – everyone should lay off the dork, and calm down.

Maybe take a hit off the pipe themselves. And chill out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.