Wednesday, February 25, 2009

More time with Safari's new Tab Bar

[Click for larger] More time with Safari 4’s new title/tab bar has more or less convinced me I do not like it. I was unsure whether I was just resisting change or not, so I was looking around online for opinions from well-reasoned individuals, when I found this blog post about it, which linked to this picture that showed what it looks like when you have multiple Safari windows open with multiple tabs.

Yow. That’s a cluttered mess.

It sort of hit me, that the guy was right: we use the title bar as a buffer for each window. When you start to encroach on that territory, then it becomes hard to tell where one window begins and the other ends. There’s also another side effect, that the title bar devoted to the site title is often (if you have more than a couple tabs) too short to effectively show you the title of said tab.

I like the concept, but it’s just not well-implemented at this point, methinks. I reckon I’ll give it another couple of days at most. If they haven’t blown my mind by that point, I think I’ll revert to the old tab bar design.

Of course once I do that, I’ll realize that I actually like the new design better. Perhaps I just like to complain.

Holy sh!t, I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.