Friday, March 20, 2009

Cleaning A Black MacBook, Redux

macbook-black
Once before I set out to write out how to clean a black MacBook. I stand by almost everything I wrote there, save for one issue.


I had taken issue with some other recommendations to use a “Magic Eraser” to clean an expensive piece of electronics. Well I have to admit that I have actually been using them to clean my own MacBook since shortly after I wrote that blog. I decided to eat some humble pie – by the way,
not as good as Apple or Cherry – and actually research the “Magic” erasers.

It turns out there’s
not much that’s “magic” about them. They’re essentially like a microfiber towel, but in foam form, and the europeans have been using them for years. In fact, before their cleaning properties were discovered, it was apparently used as a pipe & soundroom insulator. So, it’s kosher so long as the stuff your cleaning is relatively hard in nature. Mind where your minds are, boys. Ah nevermind, I’ll see you in the gutter later.

Anyway. Clean away, feel free to use a “Magic Eraser” on your black MacBook. In fact, they work
really really well. No grease spots on the black cover or palm rests! But alas, don’t expect to get rid of the grease spots on the keys. Those don’t go away.

And for dog’s sake people,
DON’T TRY TO USE IT ON THE SCREEN.

Really. Did I have to say it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.