Sunday, September 6, 2009

Arts Alive: the tale of why I avoid large crowds

It’s not that I don’t enjoy going out for a night on the town, and it’s not that I don’t enjoy good company. I guess it’s just my nature, that I don’t particularly like large gatherings. Why? Take a look at this guy:
To be clear, we were not out at a “The Dark Knight Fan Club Meeting.” We were not out at a “Long live Heath Ledger” memorial group. It was Arts Alive night, a once-monthly get-together in Old Towne, when most of the businesses host walkthroughs and offer snacks, and everyone comes out to enjoy the atmosphere & festivities.
AND, apparently, wear ‘disturbed clown’ make up to showcase the fact they haven’t been hugged enough yet. So here you have it, the reason why I don’t like large get-togethers: people acting like absolute idiots and attention whores, putting so much time & effort into appearances & act, that is supposed to somehow show that they don’t care what anyone thinks… yet they spent more prep time for the event than anyone else and bothered to make sure they showed up so you could see them and they could let you KNOW they don’t care man.
I like crowds that are small enough to weed out the stupidity; I like crowds sized right, so that everyone is being themselves and sharing in the experience, not making such an effort so prove they’re not making any effort.
I’ve been here two years, and this is really the first time that my schedule has lined up to allow me to go to one of these things. How was it? Some of the art was kind of cool, and Old Towne is pretty neat in its own right. In fact I took a good bunch of pictures while there. But I don’t need 3,000 other people there to enjoy it, maybe just a handful of friends. So if I don’t get out there for another two years? That’s fine. I’ve got a new house to chill at anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.