Saturday, September 12, 2009

Computer-as-internet-appliance

I’m not sure if it’s a generational divide, or more of a personality thing, but I have had this scenario happen to me multiple times: I’m at work on my lunch break, and I crack open my laptop and do something (keyword photos, write something, put in my work schedule, etc), and the young ladies I work with – I do specify young here – ask if I have an internet connection. No, I do not. 
And they stare at me flabbergasted. How in the world do I find a use for a computer without the internet?
It’s part of the larger problem, I think. I’ve labeled these recent generations “The MTV Generation.” They grew up watching the ‘reality’ shows on MTV (That’s MUSIC Television, where they don’t play music on the Television), and they think that that defines life. If you’re not having a whole bunch of drama & back-stabbing, it’s not really living; you’re not “hip,” you’re not “in” and you’re not popular. The computer-as-appliance-for-the-internet is an extension of this meme. The computer is not used to compute or work on anything for that matter, it’s used as a tool to check their Facebook updates (the lady last night so much as said to me “how do you check your Facebook?” You know, because it’s MY faceBOOK, I have a BOOK of FACE or something). It’s not like I don’t use the internet or anything – obviously – but I can find uses for a computer outside of facing my checkbook or whatever it is the cool kids are doing these days.
For the record, my Store Manager had made changes to my schedule for the next three-weeks’ time, and I was inputting those changes into my calendar. Yes, I do indeed use the computer for tasks other than making sure I’m still cool (I’m not) and popular (never was). Kids these days. They ought to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.