Friday, September 12, 2008

Chase & Hunter: Coming into Their Own

Yeah the pups are progressing nicely. They’re filling out well and learning really fast. In fact, they’re probably the fastest-learned dogs I’ve ever met, and definitely the most loyal Labrador PUPPIES I’ve ever encountered. I specify PUPPIES in large type because Labs are most definitely loyal family dogs, but they do have a tendency when they’re young to go and explore with little thought as to whether they can find their way back…

However these guys aren’t a concern in that regard. I can walk out anywhere with them and they’re all-eyes-on-me, just about all the time unless I tell them it’s OK; they
do not want to be left behind, in the least. In fact on an outing last week, I ended up on the opposite side of a river from them, and started walking away from shore to find a lost tennis ball. This was too much for them, too scary: they both started yelping and crying so much that me & The Girl couldn’t help but laugh, and man, can they swim real fast when they have that sort of motivation! Don’t LEAVE ME, Daddy!

They’re each getting better, too.
Chase was the less physically-adept of the two initially, but he’s filling out really well right now. Hunter’s still a might-bit better-looking, but Chase is rapidly catching up anymore. And he’s also become less timid as time has gone by, as well. And it still stands that Chase is faster in the water, while Hunter’s faster across the land. However, they both outclass poor Miles anymore. Yeah, poor Miles; he used to be the superstar, but anymore it’s rather apparent that the other two are younger, faster, stronger, and more agile. Already. Chase will now tackle waves that Miles is hesitant to face. And if you know Miles, or if you actually read the pertinent blogs, you know that that is quite a feat. Chase is fast and fearless, dammit.

Hunter’s a little less gung-ho still, but he’s getting better. Chase will launch himself out into the surf or the water or about anything to get himself out in front of everyone to get the ball. Hunter though, is content to let the crowd dissipate, or let them get it, whichever comes first; however if I throw a ball for the others to fight over, then toss one out into the surf another direction solely for him, he’s quite game to throwing himself out there, too. I guess he just doesn’t like the needless competition. And Hunter might be a tad bit quicker on the pickup of ideas: he’s got the concept of “get the ball” or “get (
whatever),” whereby if I point and tell him to get it, he’ll go and bring it to me. Chase isn’t quite as fly in that regard, but indeed, if there’s something in the water… a little bit of goading later, and he’s off to get it for me.

Yeppers, two fine, intelligent new pups we have. Two fine, unaltered pups, too.



Still with their Manhoods
Yeah about that: since they were found and subsequently don’t have a chance of breeding, it’s not like I plan to keep them ball-equpped for eternity. However, especially considering their relatively thin appearance when I found them, I wanted them to have the best chance of fully filling-out, too. So I decided the balls would stay until they are fully matured. That way, they get as big and strong as they are going to get.

And hell, who knows: It’s not like they’re getting anyone pregnant around here. If they don’t act like loons and can manage to be good little boys… maybe they can keep
their little boys.

They’re so damn cute! And you know what, I never thought I’d be the type of guy to say that about someone else’s testicles. My own, maybe, but not others’.

Times, they change I guess. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.