Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ratatouille

From Pixar, so it should be good, right? Right? Well yeah, you know they tend to put together good films, but it seems to me the last two (Cars & This showing, Ratatouille) have been overly-cute. Which if you know the ‘bob, you know he doesn’t like. I hate cute as a selling point: it’s either good on its own merits, or it’s not, and cute is not the criteria on which that’s judged.

The visuals are nice enough. The story’s kinda corny, though. I figured it might be. A rat controlling a human to cook? The premise seemed kind of forced to me, but since it garnered a 90%+ rating from
Rotten Tomatoes, we decided to take a chance. And hey, even a bad Pixar film is better than most other films, right?

Right. Look it’s a good movie. It’s really good if you’re between the ages of 3 and 12. After that, though? It just feels like they’re selling you on a cute idea a little
too much. At least for my tastes, anyway. I mean, to quote the Wendy’s Lady, Where’s the Beef? There’s really nothing else; none of the other plot points really collide into anything substantial. Most Pixar films have an underlying message to them that’s pertinent somehow. But I just don’t feel it in this one. That humans & Rats can live together in peace & Harmony? They are dirty rodents, you know, so I don’t think the message is quite ringing true.

Look if you’re 10 years old, first off, what the hell are you doing reading this site? Second, yeah, you’ll probably think it’s pretty cool.

I’m still excited for
Wall•E, though.

OH! Trivia time. The critic in the movie I’m almost sure was based off of this old Warner Brothers Actor, whom I can’t be bothered to locate & link you to. Just trust me on this, OK? I can’t remember the guy’s name, or the movies he was in, and I tried looking through
Warner Bros on imdb.com, and you know what? They put out like 100 movies a year back in the 1930’s, no lie. There’s no way I was going to find a picture of the guy, so get over it. Become a film buff and watch all those things from way back then, and you can tell me what his name was, huh?

Yeah sorry that wasn’t much of a trivia, was it? Suckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.