Sunday, June 7, 2009

This last year has conspired against my workouts

It just seems that everything has conspired to work against my workout routines. It started last year around this time, when I decided that I needed to take some time off. “Time off” was supposed to consist of a month or so, followed by a “lumberjack” workout routine for a couple of months, followed by a few weeks off, then back to the grind. However shortly before I was going to start into the new routine(s), we found puppies. Puppies, of course, take time, and though other things gave, so did my workouts.


I decided in late 2008, in talking with a friend, that I was going to start the whole “Bill Starr 5x5 program,” which I decided would begin after a hiatus that would carry me through X-mas and New Year’s. Problem was, right about the time I was supposed to rise up and become a huge, monstrous beast, I instead fell down into a spiral of sickness.

I don’t normally get sick much, at least not since I really started being more physical and taking good care of my temple.

But this year has been hell for it. It seems like it’s a process of
get sick, get better, get sick, improve, lather-rinse-repeat. And I’ve been pretty faithful to that process during the first half of this year, too. And it’s not just me. I’ve casually talked with a lot of casual people about this casual subject, casually of course, and it’s been affirmed and reaffirmed (lather-rinse-repeat) that it’s been a bad year for that sort of thing; I’m apparently not the only one that rarely gets sick that’s spent a lot of time sick this year.

Anyway, it seems that once I get over one thing, I get started on another. Just when the sick season is passing, I find myself just too damned tired to do any workouts.
Hunter was injured not that long ago, but a side story to that was that I got absolutely no sleep that night. My body is still trying to recover that lost time, too. And with my work schedule and my body’s desire to get up at specified times (driven, I think, by a desire to feed the puppies before they feed themselves), it’s hard for me to catch up. Because I don’t get home until like 10:30pm, so the earliest I’m really in bed by is 11:15, usually closer to midnight.

That was today’s culprit: still catching up on that missing sleep. I feel good though, I think my cat-nap today might be the one that pushes me up to where I’m supposed to be. But darned if it didn’t preclude a workout for the day. But I really need to get back into some sort of groove with this thing. I knew in early January that what I was doing wasn’t working out all that well: my work shirt shirts started to feel loose on my arms. It was the case that I could/would pull them up and they’d stay up at the top of my forearms or the bottom of my upper arms. Now though, it’s gotten to where I have to roll them so they’ll stay. This is not kosher,
not at all.

The forecast doesn’t look that good right now, either. We’re scheduled to close escrow on this house we’re trying to buy late this month (we’ll see
how that goes). I don’t suppose I’ll be working out much with equipment I have to take apart for the move (it takes forever to put together, taking apart ought to be fun too). Then we move, which will probably push any workouts right off the calendar as well. Then of course, there’s the whole putting the workout room back together thing again (remember it taking forever to put together in the first place?), which will probably put me back on the waiting list for the gym until at least mid July, is my guess. Then, family comes to visit in August.

So. It would seem to me at this point, that merely a
year after I was to begin working out hard & heavy again, I will actually get to it.

Just great; a wasted year. Now I won’t have the physique I want until I’m 50 I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.