Tuesday, May 26, 2009

California Supreme Court says "what equal rights?," upholds Prop 8

I’m not sure what to say about this verdict. Of course I’m not happy. I mean, I have no intention of ever getting gay-married, but I am all for equal rights. I’m just not sure how to convince the retarded fools (read: the public) that enacting legislation like this is actually bad for them, even if they don’t like homosexuality.


I think I’ve mentioned it before, that I do have an idea. Basically, we need to put a proposition on the ballot that would be just as erroneous, but serve the purpose of illustrating the slippery slope that is the withholding of personal liberties based on “not liking someone.” Maybe, you know, a proposition that aims to prevent catholics from marrying christians, or some other overly-absurd limitation of people’s right with no real reason to do so. Maybe something as silly as not allowing marriage between people with the same first letter in their first names.

That way when people complain that it’s just stupid to try and limit the rights of others just because you don’t like their names… well, it becomes precedent. Either they have to fight to overturn ALL illegitimate restrictions – including the ones they imposed on
others – or suffer the fate of their own bigotry as well.

Good for the goose, good for the gander, or so I hear.

You know I honestly can’t believe we’re doing this song & dance again. We’ve been through this before, just substitute “black” for “gay.” Geez. Where’s a
Chief Justice Earl Warren when you need one?

By the way? That guy is my hero. I’m serious. His moral latitude and his strength to make unpopular decisions just because they were right was absolutely remarkable. We nee more(s) of him(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.