Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mesquite "Coals" are the new 'it' thing in my BBQ repertoire

On accident last trip to the grocery store, I grabbed a bag of BBQ-lighting goodness that was not quite what I expected. I grabbed a big bag of “on sale,” which I thought was a big bag of mesquite-flavored coals. However when I got home to start the BBQ, I reached in and grabbed a frekkin’ tree limb; It wasn’t a bag of mesquite-flavored coals, it was a bag of mesquite!


I was a little apprehensive, but a week into it and I must say that I think I’ll stick with it. It seems to light faster and is a little more reusable, both in the immediate sense & ecologically. Actual coals burn out pretty fast and you can’t just dump the ashes anywhere. Wood on the other hand, it lights faster, extinguishes better and relights better, and when it does finally cease to usefully exist, I can conceivably use it as a mulch base or…
something.

And did I mention the flavor? Hell, the
smell alone when I walk outside to check it is just awesome. If you have access, I suggest you try it.

I might have to start a small, personal mesquite tree farm in my backyard, myself. Keep out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.