Monday, May 11, 2009

The Mighty Taco stuck. Soon, a Lift & Tires, then... Winch. Yes.

Yeah it was true. Except, this time I don’t think we could have gotten ourselves out. We needed help. Which I guess means it was a good day to get stuck. More on that later, though. First let’s talk… er, I’ll talk you listen… about taking the truck down some tight paths and how fun it was!


Damn I guess I already said all about it already. Sh!t. Well here goes: We took the truck down some paths that we walked the time before to make sure we could “fit” down these areas, and not run into any pits that would swallow us. It was indeed tight, the truck was literally scraping by here, OK? At first I was like “The Girl is going to kill me” for putting scratches into a $30K truck. But she was OK with it after a minute or so. “it’s a truck, after all,” and she’s right. Plus it sounded worse than it was. I really couldn’t find any scratches to speak of.

So that was fun. Plus it was helpful to us to get over aversion to scratching the thing. It’s our trail truck, it’s gonna get scratched, right? Correct. So all good on that front. But crap, the
mucky mud at this river strikes again. On the way out, we decided to go up an incline that maybe we should have avoided. It’s not that the incline itself was bad, it was more that the path to the incline was total muck.

Usually we
might see some other trekkers out where we were today. It just so happens, that as we were gearing up to leave, we saw a couple of Tacomas headed out the entrance/exit to the river. One was set up nicely, bigger Mud-Terrains, a sheet-metal bumper, and most importantly, a winch. As it turns out, as we finally got everyone loaded to go and went a way we shouldn’t have gone and got stuck, the tricked-out Tacoma was headed back. Luckily I was able to flag the guy down (younger guy), and get his help to get me out of some pretty sh!tty sh!t with the help of his winch.

I thanked the guy a bunch of times & tried to talk them up (there were he & three other trucks, each with at least two guys), but they all seemed a little – I don’t know, standoff-ish I guess – though I’m not sure it wasn’t just that there was a girl there with me, who knows. Anyway, I did my part, so whatever.

Of course this site is like the Bible so there has to be a moral. Lesson learned?
Get a lift. Get 33” Mud Terrains. Get a bumper & winch. Tell The Girl to “deal with it.” Lather, rinse, repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.