Monday, May 25, 2009

I may have to renege on the whole "No Canon!" thing

The Girl just purchased her camera, and it turns out that it’s a Panasonic, not the Nikon as mentioned in my last post. Not what we thought we were going to go with, but for the price and considering the options… well, she’s happy with the decision. Of course she has yet to use or even receive the thing, so we’ll so how it stacks up when it gets here. Today though, we did find a Brick & Mortar store that had the Nikon she was looking into. So we have an idea of what we’re comparing it to. Final decision to come within a week or so for her.


For me however, the decision has become a little more out-of-focus, to apply a photographer’s term in the most corny way possible to create an air of symbolism needlessly. A few days ago I
lamented about Canon’s cruddy build-quality in their ELPH-series cameras. I figured on going with a Nikon at about the same price-point as the Canons I was familiar with. However in digging a little deeper, it would seem that the Nikons do not offer the same depth of features as comparably-priced Canons. For instance, I can get a Canon Rebel T1i with lens for about $850. It has 9 Auto-Focus points, shoots 15MP images and also manages to do HD video as well. To get into A similarly-equipped Nikon D5000 – or a D90 I hear is probably closer and more expensive – I’m either spending the same for less, or getting about the same camera at nearer to $1,000. And the video? Well, it leaves quite a bit to be desired in either Nikon model. Look here for a really good example.

I’ve had previous experience with Canon’s DSLRs. I never had a problem with them. I want to vote with my wallet, but dammit their upper-echelon stuff
is good, and they offer more in a camera with less money in doing so. It’s hard to vote Nikon, even if their Image Noise suppression is a tad-bit better than Canon’s at the higher-ISO settings at this point.

So?

Who knows. Not I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.