Monday, July 21, 2008

Forearm Woe, Immigration, & Home Buying

images
More Forearm hurts a lil’
And not the same one as last year, either. I don’t know what’s up with my forearms, they seem to give me more grief than any other body part.



Immigration Reform Proves Difficult
I refer you to this article in the Washington Post. I am totally against the whole “let the immigrants stay” sort of mentality, if you didn’t know already. I don’t think that they bring more to the economy than they take away; I think they’re simply a vehicle for the bourgeois to continue raping the middle-classes of jobs, status, and wealth. Yeah, really. A job hired out for $4/hour to an illegal immigrant is a job not given to a legal American worker, and also the difference in pay is then skimmed and stays with the bourgeois, never reaching middle America — it furthers the rich/poor divide, y’all. Anyway, the real solution comes from punishing the businesses that harbor & hire illegal workers, I have said this before. But the problems in doing this are many, apparently:

Companies tell me, 'We have an immigration system that allows us to hire illegal workers, legally,' Baker said. Asked to defend President Bush's track record, he said, "Why are employers not punished more often? Because the laws we have don't really authorize that.

They go on to talk about how it’s a difficult situation because all that’s required of the businesses is that they have some “facially valid” form of ID, which meant more than anything that a large Fake ID market sprung up to support the illegal hirings, not so much the limiting or abolition of those hirings.

It’s definitely broken. Hopefully someone fixes it. Random Bob for President, 2016!

As an aside, I must say that this is one of those instances that I cross the line and Vote Republican – The Democrats want to give everyone a free ticket, sort of “illegal immigration is A-OK with us,” whereas republicans want to protect American’s jobs (at least on face value). And for that I support the cause.



Serious about Home Buying
With the addition of the new pups into our brigade (they are a force to be reckoned with), we’re really looking more seriously into buying a home with some property. Because as it is, our current “yard” is really just big enough to poop on. Which means when it comes play time, the options are a) try to avoid the landmines, or b) move it inside. See previous post regarding that situation.

See though, prices are still dropping. I’d like to last here as long as possible really. I don’t want to buy a home for $200k when I could wait 6 more months and get it for $175k. But also, I don’t want the dogs to be old and decrepit when they finally get the play areas they deserve. Decisions, decisions.

Oh, and me and
The Girl have to get married officially before any of this happens. Because when ti comes time for a mortgage, methinks that “Mr. And Mrs. Random Bob” will be taken much more seriously than “Mr. Random Bob & The Girl.” Just a hunch.

So hey, who wants to fly up and throw us a wedding?

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.