Sunday, June 29, 2008

Movie: Dan in Real Life

images

OK so it was in the cards last night after all! I had said yesterday that unless The Girl got off of work early we wouldn’t be enjoying any movies for at least a week, maybe more. Well I got hungry last night and went into her work so she could give me food. It was slow, and so it worked out that yeah, she was going to get off of work early! Yay us!

Despite my slightly tepid outlook for the film, it turned out to be quite good. I think that maybe some of the poorer reviews centered around what people thought the movie was supposed to be. Namely, a comedy. It’s not a comedy. People see Steve Carell’s name and assume it’s going to be a comedy. It’s not a comedy. It’s a cute romance with some comedic elements. And I think if you can grasp that and accept it for what it is, instead of grading it poorly because there’s not enough jokes, then you can really get more enjoyment out of the film.

I liked it. I liked it quite a bit, actually. Maybe it was because I could relate to some degree with the main character. What’s it like to be true, but overlooked? What’s it like to be special in your own regard but to be far overshadowed when you’re in the mix? How’s it feel to suck at showing off what you’re good at? I mean, this guy is a great guy. But he fails in this group atmosphere he’s in. He’s a one-on-one guy, but the problem is, if you can’t get yourself noticed, it’s a hard sell in the game of love.

The movie has its faults. The ending is too happy. Suddenly everyone that hated him for some of his actions is now rooting him on? Everything falls into place? Kismet? Meant to be, right? Look, “real life” is not that easy. I would rather have had him have to work for his redemptions a little bit, rather than having them handed over. Yeah I think that the outcome was good, but the steps were a bit small for the character, is all. But despite some flaws in character & development, overall it’s a good watch if you can stand the low-level romance. If you’re a girl, you’ll probably dig the movie. If you’re a guy but you’re not afraid to watch a movie without Sly or Ahnold, you can enjoy this movie.

So go and enjoy this movie. Random bob gives it a
B+

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You get a cookie.